This shot took me a lot longer than I wanted it to as when I translated the Marmot to match the geometry of the landscape Maya suddenly decided at random moments that it would change it for the whole sequence. This means if I moved him up on the Y axis towards the end of the scene, at the beginning he would also be higher on the Y axis even though I had previously perfectly positioned him.
I also changed the camera angle slightly to show more of the mountains:
I also used the graph editor to smooth down his movements, even though I did need to add in a couple of keys again at the end when he is coming back up the hill due to the shape of the changing geometry.
I have moved the camera and made the movement at the beginning slower (he does not move as far in this time) hopefully this shot is finised now!!